The dormant Thrihnukagigur volcano (good luck trying to pronounce it!) is a unique natural phenomenon. By setting up the necessary gear and equipment, we´ve created a tour that opens the door to a new world.
It really isn’t that complicated to experience it. All you need is the willingness to do a moderate 45–50 minute hike (to get to the crater) and the guts to descend 120 meters/400 feet to the bottom of the crater in an open cable lift.
- Operation dates: From 15 May – 10 September 2013 (ongoing tours all days within that period).
- Tour departures: 08:00 | 10:00 | 12:00 | 14:00
- Duration: 5–6 hours (about 40–45 minutes inside the volcano).
- Fitness level needed: Moderate (the difficulty is 2–3 out of a possible 5). No knowledge of hiking or climbing is required. It’s not an uphill walk, but the surface is hilly and uneven. This is NOT a tour for those in no or limited physical shape.
- Bring with you: Good hiking shoes and warm clothes. The weather in the mountains is unpredictable and can be very different from how it seems at ground level. Wear warm clothes (sneakers and jeans will NOT do you any good!).
- Distance walked: Approximately 3 km (2 miles) each way. The walk usually takes around 45–50 minutes (depending on the people in the group). A guide will be with you at all times on the walk.
- Minimum age limit: 12 years.
- Price: ISK 37.000.
Don’t worry, you will be surrounded by expert guides at all times and you can rest assured extreme safety precautions are taken at every step of the process.
We have a few vidoes that give a glimpse into what the experience is like. You can watch them all in our video gallery.
The below video should also give you a good idea of what it’s all about:
We ask all visitors to behave responsibly during the tour. The environment is extremely sensitive and we expect visitors to leave no footprint in the environment. What you carry in, you carry out.